Area: Marin County/Mt Tam
Distance: 6½ miles
Elevation gain: 1,900ft (from 0 - 1,700ft)
Steep Ravine is a real jewel in Marin County's crown. Cutting deep into the landscape over millennia the water rushing through Webb Creek has created a spectacularly steep sided and lush canyon shaded by towering redwood trees and populated with a wide variety of local flora and fauna.
This trail really draws the crowds, so we heartily recommend hitting it early and hitting it first.
Rounding of this 6.5 mile hike our route guides you down the coastal section of the Matt Davis Trail promising wide sweeping ocean views and even more dense woodland switchbacks.
iPhone and Android downloads with :
- Trailspotting Guides: Steep Ravine & Matt Davis Loop
- Trailspotting Guides: Mt Tamalpais Bundle
- Trailspotting Images: Tamalpais Steep Ravine on Flickr
- Mount Tamalpais State Park
- State Park Brochure (Map on page 6 of this PDF)
- Trailspotting: More hikes in this area